Monday, March 22, 2004

He was just a kid...

Today I learned a very sad thing. It broke my heart. A boy, not yet past 17, who had been coming out to my Teens program at Church, had been killed within the last few weeks. I drove him home not even a month and a half ago after an event! He shared some of his troubles in life, at home. And that would be the last time I ever talked to him... really the first chance I had ever talked to him. He was a good kid, a rough-neck, but underneath that mask he was just a good kid trying to live his life. He told me how he had been working for his uncle doing roofing and had almost died once almost falling of a roof, but had managed to dig the teeth end of a hammer into the roof and stopped just before sliding off and down three stories... I told him God had to be watching out for him. He had to leave his home last month because of an abusive home life. He was taken to a shelter in Etobicoke. Then he was involved in a scuffle, was stabbed near the heart cutting a major artery. He was in the hospital for a week waiting for life saving surgery, but was just one too many behind a list of others needing surgery and died before they got to him. He didn't know Christ as a saviour, I didn't get a chance to talk to him about it... His parent's didn't go to the funeral, it was held by the shelter... he was a good kid.

Unconditional love such as that which Jesus has for us, is something our society lacks in abundance. A love that bears no grudge, holds no enemy and always forgives. It breaks my heart to live in a society with parents who don't love their kids enough to even go to their funeral, or a society in which a brawl could not be ended until another unloved kid stabbed ultimately to death another one. anyways... I'm just saddened by his death, and had to share it. Hope I didn't depress too many people... I gather that not many read this blog much anyways, but I had to say something. This was it... keep it real everyone, and I mean that, keep it real.

No comments: