Wednesday, September 06, 2006

BEER UPDATE...

Alrighty folks, here's the dilly-o, the low down, the skinny... etc, etc... on the beer! So to date, my co-worker and I made and bottled our first beer, "The Fat Monk", and have made and bottled our second beer, "We fight, we drink, we drink, we fight, we fight, we drink, we drink, Irish Red Ale".

After a week of letting the first beer condition in the bottle, I popped one open to taste it. Now I was fully aware that the beer needs a solid month of conditioning before it will taste good, but I wanted to be able to taste the difference between the early bottle and the mature bottle. So drank I did, and I won't lie to you, it wasn't good... now it also wasn't bad. The smell is great, the appearance is great, the taste is what's kinda... umm... not so great. :-) The problem was that it tasted very much like strong molasses. Some may enjoy that, but I don't. So whatev, I took note and waited to open another bottle. This I did last weekend, after a second week of conditioning... and let me tell you... it's gooooood! I'm pretty amazed at how the flavour has mellowed out and become more balanced after just a week. The molasses flavour is still there, just alot nicer and smoother. I can't wait to drink it after a month of conditioning. So that's beer number one, on track to be enjoyable. There will be some more experimenting though to perfect it, but not bad for "version 1.0".

Now the Irish Red has been bottle conditioning since last Thursday night and I was planning on trying one tomorrow night. However, my partner in beer told me he tried one last night and said it was freakin' awesome. He said it's by far the best beer he's ever been involved with making. He say's it tastes like something you expect from a big name label. So I've made an executive decision, and that is I'm bumping my tasting up to tonight... goodtimes. I'll have to blog giving an update on the character of the beer soon.

No comments: