Thursday, March 15, 2007

Viva Cuba!

So I realize it has been ages since my last post. This is due in large part to a new form of internet "keep-in-touch" type site called Facebook. I had nicknamed it "The Biggest Fad of 2007", but now refer to it as "Digital Crack Cocaine". It's been amazing to re-connect with friends and keep them up to date with life in general, but I will attempt to be more regular with Blogger as well though since you can still express thoughts and experiences in more detail here. So without further ado: CUBA!

Yeah, so the week before going to Cuba was probably the craziest week for me in a long time. This is another part of the lack of blogging... I was BUSY. Before going away I had a total of fifteen quotes that jumped up over a period of two weeks. It's hard to work on quotes as well when you're out of the office visiting the churches to get info for the quotes. Anyways, I had to get all these quotes out before going away and was working furiously before our trip to get everyone's out. Amazingly enough I did, with even an hour to spare on the Thursday before leaving.

That was the Thursday of the big snow storm, so we were kinda freaking out about whether the airline would cancel or delay the flight drastically. We checked with the airline though and they said everything was on schedule and they didn't expect a delay, which was quite nice to hear. That night we had a nice dinner with Lindsay's family to celebrate our one year anniversary. Lindsay's parents gave us some money as a gift... ALOT of money(relatively speaking)! lol. It was crazy, we were totally floored. It helped pay for some of the stuff we did and bought while in Cuba.

Afterwards we left our awesome little dog with them as they took care of him for the week we were gone, and we went over to my parents house. We stayed with them for the night since they're closer to the airport than our house, and we had to be there for 3:30am in the morning... ugh. So my awesome Dad drove us there in the morning and we set off for sunshine and goodtimes. The flight was on schedule for 6:30am, but was delayed only to de-ice the wings. This is a super awesome fun procedure to watch as they taxi the plane to an area where they have big cranes with super hoses on them that spray down the entire plane, focusing on the wings. That delayed us by about an hour, but no sweat. The flight was great and we landed in Cuba around 11:30am and got to the resort around 1:30pm, which was actually good compared to Panama where customs and the bus ride took close to four hours in total.

The resort was super awesome and we ended up by total luck getting one of the BEST rooms on the entire resort. It was a huge room with a big balcony and a really nice bathroom. The resort was beautiful with a great beach and really friendly people working there. This was actually the great thing we found about Cuban people everywhere we went, they're crazy friendly. The country was so super safe, and relatively clean compared to alot of places we've been. We went out to a few of the local cities and towns while we were there, got some great gifts, great pictures, and great memories of the people and Country. Back at the resort we mainly ate, swam, sun-tanned, and partied with a group friends we made while we were there. They were five crazy nurses from Markham and they were super fun to chillax with. Most nights we went to the resort shows, and afterwards would get drinks at the big lounge bar that's opened 24 hours. The last night we also went to the disco where I excellently laid down the white man's shuffle :-) Actually we picked up a few moves while we were there and I don't think we danced all half bad... not GOOD.... :-) just not that bad.

True to the Cuban experience, Lindsay and I got some nice cigars while we were there, and on two of the nights enjoyed one each. We also picked up some really nice sipping rum which we put in our ever growing liquor cabinet. I sometimes think that we must seem like alcoholics or something, but the only reason our cabinet is so full is because we DON'T drink our booze very often. It's just nice to be able to offer our guests some cool drink options, and I'm a freak when it comes to a really nice sipping rum.

One week was fun, but it felt like it was over a little too quickly. Anywho, the flight back was good, and we got home around 3:30pm on Friday the 9th. We had a great anniversary and trip, and we both thought it's amazing that for all the years we've been together, that we just keep feeling more and more comfortable with each other and in love with each. It's not just fluff when people tell you to wait for marriage, I know that our four years of dating was the foundation for how crazy happy and stable our lives and relationship is now, which is so neat to experience. Anyways, that was a little preachy, back to Cuba.

We got back and picked up our dog, who was crazy happy to see us. I almost wondered if he'd forget us a little, and at first when we came by he looked at us like, "Who the heck are these people?", and then instantly realized who we were. He jumped all over us and licked us and even did an accidental back flip he was so excited. Now we're all settled back home, and life is back to normal. I've posted some pictures of our trip, but there's a catch. I posted them onto my Facebook profile. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=8070&id=682895322

Now to view the pics you have to be signed in, that's the catch. It doesn't take too much to sign up, but I understand if you'd rather not. I think Lindsay may have posted some pics somewhere too, so you can always try to find them as well.

Hmmmm, I think that's all I have to blog about for now. Oh, Lindsay and I joined the Y in Burlington at the beginning of February and have been very regular going. I've lost ten whole pounds, and that's including after our week in Cuba. I was very good with consumption. My goal is to get back into the middle of my Body Mass Index recommended zone of 170lbs. I'm on track so far to accomplish that goal by September. I'm excited to get back into shape as I've slowly gotten tubby over the last seven years. It's so easy when you like to eat. lol :-)

K, so that should suffice for now. I'll try and check in again soon for my faithful readers :-) Peace out Homies. Here's a classy pic to leave y'all with.

No comments: